Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Reflection of our Prayer to Mary – the Mother of God by Rick Benedict


Introduction

This prayer – entitled, “Hail Holy Queen”, or (in Latin) “Salve Regina” – is the last prayer one says as one completes the Rosary.   Until I was in my 60’s and recovering from leukemia I found this to be a doleful prayer, at best.  I felt trapped by the sense that the prayer was asking us to hold on, in spite of the great sorrows in our lives, until death – when we would be freed from our exile and become happy in heaven.  During my bout with leukemia I experienced unexpected Peace and Joy.  I was given the Grace to see God’s promises in Christ as promises that could and did (for me) become true during life.  My exile ended when I was given the Grace to see God’s love as omnipresent and sufficient – in spite of the circumstances within which one found one’s self. 

I have a friend who is depressed and made what appeared to be a suicide attempt.  Thankfully, it failed.  In my prayer time I was praying for her.  This prayer came to my mind.  I knew she was a devotee – finding comfort in her relationship with Mary.  It seemed to me, in my prayer time, that I should translate this prayer according to my new understanding, and share it with her.  That is what I did.  It moved her.

I hope it moves you – to reconsider the unfortunate interpretations of this mighty prayer.  We are promised freedom from the tyranny of our life’s troubles.  We are promised joy.  We pray to Mary to help us experience this Joy… through her son, Jesus Christ.
 

"Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy"…

Mary is the mother of Jesus. In the Gospel of John, John tells us, "1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth" [John 1:1-3; 14]. 

Therefore, as the mother of God, Mary has a rather interesting role to play in all of creation. She is not God; yet, somehow, without her the word of God would not have become flesh. So we would not have known God's Mercy in Christ without Mary’s role in the birth of Jesus.  Mary is the vehicle through which the son of God became man.  She is the human Mother of God made human!  She is the “Mother of Mercy.”

"Our life, our sweetness, and our hope"…

Is the author of this prayer telling us that Mary is our life, our sweetness, and our hope? Or is the author once again telling us that Mary is the mother of our life our sweetness and our hope? I choose to believe that it is the later.  However, either way, it is through her that we were able to see the incarnation of our life, our sweetness, and our hope in the person of Jesus the Christ.

“To Thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve”…

This line has puzzled me since I was a small child. What does this line say about our lives? Clearly, it suggests that there is an underlying pool of abandonment that we experience while here on earth. There may even be a hint of extreme punishment in this phrase. We are not only abandoned. We are banished. Furthermore, we seem not to be banished by our own deeds but by the deeds of our ancestral Mother, Eve.  There's a place in my heart where I scream to God, “Why am I punished for the acts of my ancestral mother?”

However, that's not how I see it anymore.  We who are human have inherited what's known as "human nature." Sometimes our human nature is applauded as the seat of our humanity and all the goodness of which we are part. More often, however, we apologize for our human nature.  This nature drives us – in conscious and unconscious ways – to have our deepest desires fulfilled (frequently, in spite of the negative consequences meeting these needs cause ourselves and others).  

We lament our sins and our faithlessness.  We want to be ‘good’ and we find it virtually impossible to make good on the thousands of reformations we’ve attempted.  We are not punished because of Eve's deeds. Indeed, we are not being punished at all. Our selfish and unloving choices seem to separate us from our very knowledge of God’s Love that would free us from our sense of abandonment. When I act in a way unworthy of a child of God, I tend to turn from God's Love because I do not feel ‘entitled’ of the love of the author of goodness. And so our banishment is a function of our sinful choices; of our refusal to turn to God’s Love, and of our fearful drives that help us stay alive – but alienated – from the Love of God.


 

“To Thee do we send up our sighs; mourning and weeping in this valley of tears”…

This phrase often brings me to my knees. Have you ever mourned for seemingly no other reason than because you were alive? Have you ever wept with the grief that did not seem consolable?   You look around at the grief and suffering in the world and you feel it crowd your very soul into oblivion!  Where is God in this?  Why are we weeping?  Why is this earth seemingly a valley of tears?  What happened to the promises of Peace and Joy?  If this phrase tells us nothing else, it tells us that at times (and sometimes for great and seemingly unending periods of time) life is painful and difficult… almost to the point of hopelessness.  Fortunately, this prayer does not end at this stanza…

“Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us”…

Mother!  Mother!  Please help, Mother! 

“…and after this our exile…”

What does this mean?  We are doomed to a life of mourning and weeping until we die?  Then and only then are we able to be shown the blessedness of God?  This is not what I believe this prayer means.  There is clearly a period of time in our lives that the Bible refers to as youthfulness and foolishness (Proverbs 22:15; Ecclesiastes 9:3).  There is also a time of repentance (Matthew 3:2, 4:17; Mark 1:4, 1:15. 6:12; Luke 3:3) – the turning away from those pursuits that bring us as much grief as happiness in life.  There is a time of redemption – when we are afforded the Grace of God… and that time is NOW!

“… show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.”

It is here that we see the blessed truths of Jesus – God incarnate; the living Word…

“Oh clement, oh loving, oh sweet Virgin Mary! Pray for us, Oh Holy Mother of God. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.”

To be “worthy” is to be repentant; truly sorry for one’s failures – particularly one’s repeated failures; and make a determined effort to surrender inappropriate behaviors that fail to bring to ourselves and others the love we truly seek to give and receive.  It does not mean to be ‘perfect.’  It means to be conscious of the unhappy consequences of our poor choices; and to ask for God’s help in overcoming these regular failures.   

… And so, we beseech our Mother in God – the Mother of God – to open our deeper nature… the nature of our hearts… the hearts that long for our communion with God our Father and Mother.  That is the promise of Christ… that we will see His Love and Grace… that we will experience this Love and Grace… and we will know by this Love and Grace that we are not abandoned, alone, or banished (John 14:26; 15:11). 

In fact, it is joy that we are promised as children of God… “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete” (John 15:11).

So, I close with a slightly modified ending to this prayer…

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may experience this great and unending promise of your son, our Christ, Jesus.

 

1 comment:

  1. I've actually always loved this prayer, but you made me see it in a different light. It's something I've been saying since I was a child, and I had made up my own ideas about it (not to mention that I thought "mourning and weeping" was "morning and evening" until I was Confirmed).

    I liked how you mentioned that, as a child, you struggled with the idea of being punished for Adam and Eve's sin. I, too, struggled with that as a child, and to some extent I still do. But I am, as C. S. Lewis would say, a Daughter of Eve, and what's important is that I focus on God and His mercy and love, and not the sins of my ancestors.

    This is an extremely thought-provoking piece. Thank you for sharing. You've given me a lot to think and to pray about!

    ReplyDelete