Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cooking Dinner by Sherrel Milton


 
Cooking dinner is one of my all-time favorite hobbies I enjoy doing for my family. When we have family gatherings or even a daily meal, my family depends on me to have their favorite dish ready. Especially during the holidays, such as Thanksgiving, the traditional turkey and dressing, yams, string-bean casserole, and baked brisket meal have been the norm. However, this past holiday I decided to do something new, like not gorge so much on rich, heavy foods and desserts. I cooked a small amount of sides and made a tossed salad with no dessert. This change prevented us from sitting and napping a perfectly good holiday away. Naturally, my family questioned me as to why I did not cook the ordinary holiday meal. I replied, “I just wanted to give you my undivided attention this holiday.”

           

Between learning how to cook from my mother and the Church mothers, I turned out to be a pretty good cook. I feel as if I should someday have my own cooking show. My favorite dish I love to cook is soul food, macaroni and cheese, dressing, and fried chicken, just to name a few are my specialties. However, I use too much butter and I am aware this is why I have high blood pressure and am overweight. The un-measured seasoning and extra butter used to make it taste so good is not so good health-wise. Therefore, I have to find ways to cut back on the extras and to substitute other ingredients for a healthier meal.


 
I am from a family of nine, and my mother spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking, freezing vegetables, and canning jars of jelly. As a child I was fascinated, watching her because she never measured anything. Whatever she cooked turned out finger-licking good. I wanted to clean the kitchen after she finished; I got a chance to eat the scraps. It would make my younger sisters jealous. I would ask my mother if I could help cook. She would say, “No, if you want to learn, just sit there and watch me.” So I did! When I got older, she allowed me to cook hamburgers, hot dogs and pork and beans for my sisters and brothers. I thought it was good because I put onions in it, something my mom did not do. My mother and father never ate my cooking, until their health changed. 

 

When my parents took sick, their eating habits had to change, too, by using salt substitute, no pork, and very little beef. I did learn to prepare a few Chinese dishes. I liked it because if cooked right it is healthy, especially when using fresh vegetables. Both my parents were not pleased with me following their doctors’ orders when cooking for them. On the other hand, I had to be sure my children ate the same as my parents, just to keep from causing temptation. When cooking burgers, I used turkey meat. In addition, I eventually replaced the ground beef with the turkey meat when cooking all my meals. Turkey has less fat. Even If I just want to fix a quick meal, the brand Healthy Choice microwave meals are my choice.

 

My brothers are vegetarians, two of them for religious reasons and one for health reasons. Ricky, my brother who lives in California, enjoys his healthy lifestyle. When he visits our parents, he introduces them to new vegetarian meals. I have learned new ways to cook without all the fatty grease in it. Many times I have tried to go with meatless meals; I have to continue to work at it. I am not ready to give up meat just yet! I watch the cooking channel a lot, especially Paula Dean, when she used so much butter and fatty oils. I feel at times that was the cause of my weight gain and high blood pressure.

 

As I began to read cookbooks, learn how to modify my ingredients a great deal, now I can be in control of my health. This year I have recipes for a Jamaican dish, I really like this food. My dad was from Jamaica and I remember my aunts would bring dinner for him. It tastes pretty good, too! This was the only type of food my mom would not cook for him. I guess she was set in her own ways on what she liked to cook for the family. Me, I like variety.

 

Now my youngest daughter reminds me of when I was a child. She sits in the kitchen, watching me as I cook. Many times she asks questions about how long it takes to cook certain cuts of meat. Or even what types of seasoning or spices are used on meats and vegetables. Jessica tells me when she gets married and has children of her own, she wants to cook dinner for her family just like her mother. I am satisfied with the level that cooking dinner has been the core of creating a bond for my family. As the old saying goes, “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” I have applied this motto to my family; the way to tighten the bond with your children is cooking dinner together and eating together.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this made me hungry, Sherrell! Sounds like you enjoy some great family dinners. (By the way, aren't we related?)

    ReplyDelete